ADSM-L

DSMSERV UNLOADDB note

2015-10-04 17:31:36
Subject: DSMSERV UNLOADDB note
From: Richard Sims [mailto:rbs AT BU DOT EDU]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
I noticed that the TSM DSMSERV UNLOADDB command, recently mentioned on the
List, was not documented in the AIX version of the server Admin Ref manual.
I reported that and the Publications people are addressing that now.

Recent discussions on the command talked of it as a means of "compressing"
the *SM database, per the terminology used in chapter 17 of the TSM Admin
Guide.  Here is a clarification from Publications:

  About the command: The DSMSERV UNLOADDB command actually does not compress
  the database. This wording is being changed also.  What the command does
is
  defragment the database and reorganize it so that it appears as if the
  database is using less space.  Actually the number of bytes used is the
  same, but after the reorganization process performance can improve.

Richard Sims, BU