ADSM-L

Re: Network traffic

2000-04-27 08:42:39
Subject: Re: Network traffic
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 08:42:39 -0400
>I'm told if we can set up the ADSM server to ping out the .112 and .113
>nic's every 5 minutes the network will learn about those Mac addresses and
>this would solve the problem. Our other solution is to change the networks
>on the other 2 cards, but that's a little down the road when we do some
>hardware upgrades. Since the first option is the quickest, I need something
>that will run every five minutes for about 10 seconds then stop, until we've
>upgraded, otherwise I'll never get any sleep......

Geoff - I have in general seen the kind of problem you report: an ethernet
        interface will take in no traffic until something goes out.  Odd,
but it happens.  Obviously, this has nothing to do with ADSM, per se: you
could set up cron to ping something on each subnet once every few minutes.
    Richard Sims, BU