ADSM-L

Re: can't read label, backup failed, desperate

2000-04-26 22:28:25
Subject: Re: can't read label, backup failed, desperate
From: James R Owen <Jim.Owen AT YALE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:28:25 -0400
Chan,
If I understand your situation correctly, I believe you are trying to write
initial labels on new, previously unlabeled tapes.  If that is correct, I
believe
your CHECKIN LIBV command would have been sufficient and correct to label and
checkin all newly inserted tapes as SCRatch tapes.  Your earlier CHECKIN LIBV
command was the mistake; that checked all of the tapes into the library as
SCRatch tapes even though they (probably) were not yet labeled.  To recover,
do:
        Query LIBVolume dlt7lib1 *      [to see what tapes you need to label]
and then create a macro with a line like that below:
        CHECKOut LIBVolume dlt7lib1 A#####C CHECKLabel=No REMove=No
for each of the unlabeled tapes that you believe still needs to be labeled.
Then do,
        MACRO /path.../what.ever.you.called.the.macro
That will leave the tapes [physically] inserted in the library, but not
[logically] checked-in as an ADSM LIBVolume.  Then reissue your command, but
without the OVERWRITE=Yes, unless you just like to live dangerously (or you are
really sure that none of those tapes that might already be labeled contains any
valid/useful data.)  You may also want to specify VOLRange=AnnnnnC,AmmmmmC to
limit the range of volumes that you attempt to label and checkin (at least
until you have the process working to your satisfaction.)  See HElp LABEL
LIBVolume for more information,

Good luck, and good night!
--
Jim.Owen AT Yale DOT Edu   (203.432.6693)