ADSM-L

Re: Problems with Firewall Checkpoint-1

2000-04-18 08:24:47
Subject: Re: Problems with Firewall Checkpoint-1
From: Herve Chibois <Herve.Chibois AT FR.ABNAMRO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 14:24:47 +0200
Hi there

I had the pb also. I opened a PMP at IBM and they told me that running ADSM
behind a FW is not supported.

Even if you force 1501 and 1500 ports, as ADSM forks the session, it randomly
try another port, greater than the
first one.

I include the IBM answer for this pb.

For me, I trigger a command schedule running 'start C:\MYDIR\MYSCRIPT.CMD' and
the client re-open a session
using the port 1500 on the server. It works for me.

-----------
ADSM uses tcp for it's communications. Port 1500 is for the initial
ADSM uses tcp for it's communications. Port 1500 is for the initial
 communication with the server, but once established, a separate session
 is forked off with it's own tcp/ip port.
 -establishing seperate sessions allows for multiple clients sessions
  to be established to the server at one time
 .
 When the adsm client establishes a session with the server, it randomly
 selects a socket (port) number that it calls out on. The adsm server

 then uses that client port number for return transmissions.

 .
 If you are using server-initiated backups, you can set the
 client's port number for the server to use in the client's system
 options file. If you do this, then you will have to set up the client's
 tcp/ip to reserve that port number.
 .
 the "tcpport <port_address>" is how the initial port number is
 specified.
 .
 A seperate session is forked once the inital contact is made, but there
 is no way to predetermine what port number will be used, the attempts
 will increment the port number untill an established connection is
 made (or the client times out)
 .
 ADSM does not support communication thru a firewall

"Nathan E. King" <nathan.king AT storsol DOT com> on 28/03/2000 23:11:13
"Nathan E. King" <nathan.king AT storsol DOT com> on 28/03/2000 23:11:13

Please respond to nathan.king AT storsol DOT com