ADSM-L

Re: Anyone ever backed up a Gupta or Centurion Database with *SM?

2000-04-16 10:46:27
Subject: Re: Anyone ever backed up a Gupta or Centurion Database with *SM?
From: Michael Abel <Michael.Abel AT RESNOVA DOT DE>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 16:46:27 +0200
Jeff,

I cannot comment on the product(s) you are mentioning. But to bring this to
a kind of high-level discussion: Whenever we are being asked to backup a
database or application that is not fully filebased (and therefore a
candidate for the normal b/a client) we sit together with some guys haveing
a decent knowledge of the product and try to figure out what to backup how
in most cases this turns aout to be a scripting problem: e.g. shut down
the database, do a "snap-shot" copy and compress it, restart the database,
send the copy to the *SM server etc. etc.

Regards,
Michael

                    Jeff Connor
                    <connorj@NIAGARAM        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    OHAWK.COM>               cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:     Anyone ever backed up
a Gupta or Centurion Database with *SM?
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    .EDU>

                    14.04.00 17:08
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

I had a customer ask me today if I could do a hot backup of a Windows NT
4.0
Server
running a Centurion database.  They tell me Centurion used to be known as
Gupta.

It's a new one on me and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff Connor
Niagara Mohawk Power