ADSM-L

Multithreading w/TSM 3.7.2

2000-04-14 12:24:30
Subject: Multithreading w/TSM 3.7.2
From: Mark Owens <Mark_Owens AT PRODIGY DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:24:30 -0400
AIX Server            : TSM 3.7.2
TSM Client/Aix      :  3.7.1
AIX                       : 4.3.2 & 4.3.3
commethod            : sharedmemory

Hi All,

With TSM 3.7, Tivoli has provided the resourceutilization parameter in dsm.sys
and the maxnummp parameter when you register your node. To the best of my
knowledge, maxnummp equates to mount points and when using a tape storagepool
this equates to the number of tape drives that will be used for the backup. The
resourceutilization throttles system resources and the number of sessions used
for the backup.

While testing with a single node, maxnummp=2 and resour=7 and a 75gig test
filesystem I'm noticing two sessions are started, two tape mounts occur, each
session performs a backup. Then, after approx 2-3 minutes the last session
started
ends....... no error.......tape not full....... after the retention timer of 1
minute the
tape dismounts. The odd thing is the backup has not completed, the remaining
session
is left to complete the backup. I'm told TSM 3.7 performs some sort of
pre-backup
calculation to determine the optimal number of sessions to start and remain
active in
order to complete the backup.

Clearly (depending on the number of resources at my disposal) I'd like to
complete
the backup as soon as possible with as many tapes as possible without TSM
stopping
the active sessions I have running. Has anyone else experienced this or been
able
to have numerous sessions active writing to muliple tapes?

Mark