ADSM-L

Lbtest and access to the AdsmScsi device

2000-04-12 09:53:49
Subject: Lbtest and access to the AdsmScsi device
From: Kyle Payne <payne AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:53:49 -0500
ADSMer's or IBMer's,

        We have been using the lbtest program with our NT TSM server for a
number
of different things.  Recently I added it to a script which checks to see if
the entry/exit port of the library is empty before I start a checkout.
While creating the script everything worked beautifully.  This whole time I
was signed on to NT as an administrator.  When it came time for user testing
(the operators who would be checking in and out tapes) we hit a snag.

        When a regular user runs the lbtest program it dies with an error.  It
seemed like a permissions problem so I tried giving the group the user
belonged to different permissions.  In the end I had given the group all the
user rights and permissions to the registry that the administrators have, at
least everything that I knew I could.  Still it wasn't enough to allow
lbtest to run when a user  not in the administrators group is signed on.

        Lbtest appears to be dieing when it tries to open the device.  Something
else I notice is that when I am signed on as a user in the administrators
group I can go into the AdsmScsi device in the control panel and click on
startup (change the start up mode).  When I am signed on as the regular user
I can't (even after all the permissions were given) I get permission denied.

        My question is as follows:  Can anyone tell me what rights/permissions a
user needs in order to run lbtest on NT?  Or has anyone encountered the same
problem?

More details:
In the lbtest.in file I have the following:
command open lb0.0.0.6
command return_elem_count
command retur_lib_inventory_all
command close.

The program fails at line 3
When -t is set I get the following errors:
Error! WINNT DeviceIoControl 0x8401C050 failed.
Error! WINNT DeviceIoControl LastError=6
        Error is Unknown error.

Thanks,
        Kyle
Kyle Payne