ADSM-L

Re: Exchange recipient lists

2000-04-12 08:16:53
Subject: Re: Exchange recipient lists
From: "Jordan, Chris (ELS)" <c.jordan AT ELSEVIER.CO DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 13:16:53 +0100
What is the "recipient list"?? Is this the list of addressees that a message
has been sent to? If so, it is restored at the same time as the messages -
as long as you restore the full Information Store. The recipient list of a
message is one of the attributes of the message.

If you are using "restore individual mailbox" (which I didn't think you
could do with ADSM/TSM, but you can do with some other products); then it is
perfectly possible that it might restore a message without the list of TO
and CC's. That is because this "brick backup" type of backup is not a good
thing to do.

If the "recipient list" is actually the Exchange Directory (i.e. the list of
users of the Exchange system), then you need to restore the Directory as
well as the Information Store.

However, if what you are wanting to do is to restore just the Information
Store to a spare server, and then to take one mailbox from that server and
transfer it to your live system, then there are other procedures that apply.
I believe that the Knowledge Consistency Checker will allow enough of the
directory to be re-created based on the contents of the Information Store.
This will allow an Administrator to go in and select out the mailbox
information required.

HOWEVER, I would read the Microsoft Disaster Recovery Whitepaper, and follow
the instructions exactly. ADSM/TSM does not add anything, or take anything
away from the normal facilities.
(Of course, that is not quite true as ADSM does allow the backups to be
managed! - but as far as Exchange is concerned it uses a standard Microsoft
API rather than doing its own manipulation of the Exchange database.)

Cheers, Chris