ADSM-L

Re: BACKUP a FILE SYSTEM WITH a SPESIFIC MANAGMANET CLASS

2000-04-10 09:58:51
Subject: Re: BACKUP a FILE SYSTEM WITH a SPESIFIC MANAGMANET CLASS
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 09:58:51 -0400
> I am running ADSM 3.1.2.55 on AIX 4.2.1.0. I am trying to backup a certain
file
> system on a SUN server 2.6 with ADSM client 3.1.0.7. I would like to backup
this
>  file system with the following method:
>     1- Exclude the file system from the ADSM backup schedule.
>     2- Run a script that will perform a selective backup with a certain
manageme
> nt class for this file system. This script will kickoff during daytime,
while th
> e SUN server will backed up during night time.
>
> I have noticed the following:
> *    Using a manual selective command or normal backup  schedule it will
always
> go and read the Inclexclude.lst. I want to backup all file systems with the
defa
> ult management class, but I want a specific file system to be backed up with
a d
> ifferent management class. If I exclude this file system in the
inclexclude.lst
> it will never gets backed up and if I included it with a specific management
cla
> ss it will be backed up at night, which I don't want that to happen. I want
to b
> acked it up on a certain time during the day with a specific management
class...

One way of doing this is to use the 'domain' option. The domain option for the
daytime backup would list the single file system to be backed up then, and the
domain option for the nighttime backup would list the rest of the file
systems. The downside to this approach is its potential for maintenance
errors: a new file system added to the client will not be included in either
backup unless one of the domain option values is updated to include the new
file system.