ADSM-L

Re: Antwort: Re: ADSM and Security -- looks pretty easy to get files

2000-04-08 00:19:42
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: ADSM and Security -- looks pretty easy to get files
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT NERSP.NERDC.UFL DOT EDU>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 00:19:42 -0400
=> On Thu, 6 Apr 2000 22:08:21 +0100, Frank Mohr <frank-m.mohr AT DB DOT COM>
said:

> ----------------------
> debcav5 AT hotmail DOT com wrote:
> ----------------------
>> There is no real security with
>> ADSM.  Earlier postings state that it's security is "Kerberos-like" - that
>> doesn't seem true either.

> adsm uses a kerberos-like authentication between backup client and server
> you have to use passwort expiration and "passwordaccess generate"
> to make the client access more secure

I've heard this bandied about several times now, and as an admin of a
substantial kerberos installtion, it just doesn't ring true.

Would some (tivoli) one be willing to discuss precisely how ADSM
authentication is like Kerberos?  The only thing I can come up with is that
passwords are encrypted at some point in the system, and that's as much like
UNIX system passwords as anything.

Allen S. Rout
NERDC ADSM admin