ADSM-L

Re: Copies of DR data

2000-04-07 12:45:29
Subject: Re: Copies of DR data
From: Lindsay Morris <lmorris AT OPENMIC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 12:45:29 -0400
Seems like overkill to me.

But yes, in the event of a disaster you ARE down to just one copy. If
your data volume is not huge and you can afford it, keep a second copy
pool.

Or, you could institute a policy of making portable backupsets of all
the critical nodes every month.  Then you'd have a month-old snapshot as
well as an up-to-date copy pool.  If you DID lose a tape, you wouldn't
lose everything then - you could still get most of it from your
month-old snapshot.

Not perfect, I now - but this is a useful trick anyway, because you'll
run into tape contention problems when you do a full restore of many
nodes at the same time (ie, unless you collocate your copy pool, two
nodes will be on the same tape, and the 2nd node will have to wait for
the first node to finish before grabbing tape.).  With portable
backupsets, you can restore them all in parallel, to the last snapshot -
then the TSM server just brings them all up to date.  Much less data
sent, less opportunity for contention.

So if you think that's a good idead for the tape-contention reason,
maybe you can also sell it as a sort of backup to the copypool, too.

--
Mr. Lindsay Morris
Mr. Lindsay Morris