ADSM-L

Re: Backup STGPOOL MAXPRocess=2

2000-04-07 11:40:06
Subject: Re: Backup STGPOOL MAXPRocess=2
From: Andreas Buser <andreas.buser AT BASLER DOT CH>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 17:40:06 +0200
Hi Dana,

There are two points why ADSM works like you see it:

1.  For the data of a node only one  backuptask is started ,if collocation
is enabled..
2.  If you have collocation enabled, then one task will not work for
another client.

I think after your first task has finished, you only have data of one
client in the pool. You can check this with 'Q occ * STG=poolname'.

One other reason, about  which I'm not quite sure, is the number of
mountpoints in use, maybe a client restoring during your backuppool.

MI hope this helps you.

Kind Regards
Andreas Buser

Tel: ++41 61 285 73 21  Fax: ++41 61 285 70 98

Email: Andreas.Buser AT Basler DOT ch

Address:
Basler Versicherungen
Andreas Buser
Abt. Informatik
Aeschengraben 21
4002 Basel
Switzerland

                    "Dana Mitchell;"
                    <Dana.Mitchell@I        An:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    NG-DM.COM>              Kopie:
                    Gesendet von:           Thema:  Backup STGPOOL MAXPRocess=2
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    T.EDU>

                    07.04.00 17:22
                    Bitte antworten
                    an "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Hello All,

I am running TSM 3.7 under OS/390 2.4 with a primary disk pool of 173gb.
At 6AM I issue "BACKUP STG PRODDISK1  PRODCOPY1   MAXPROCESS=2" command to
begin backing up this pool.   Two processes are then started and all is
well.   Less than an hour later, one of the processes ends 'successfully'
after only backing up 12GB.  The other process is still going at 10AM and
its up to 70GB and counting.

Does anyone know how the first process decides it's time to end?  I would
like to start these backups earlier in the morning and keep two processes
going but I am having trouble understanding what causes these to end,
seemingly prematurely.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dana Mitchell
Equitable of Iowa