ADSM-L

Re: DB2 Management Class

2000-04-07 11:33:11
Subject: Re: DB2 Management Class
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:33:11 -0400
> Sorry, I should have mentioned that.  We are using the API, and
> db2adutl.  The files go to the backup pool, not archive I believe.

Right, the db backups go to the backup pool, and the recovery logs, if in
roll forward mode, are archived.

To see the management class, try this one:

db2 get db cfg for ldapdb2

You should see something like:

 ADSM management class                  (ADSM_MGMTCLASS) = 8VERSIONS
 ADSM node name                          (ADSM_NODENAME) =
 ADSM owner                                 (ADSM_OWNER) =
 ADSM password                           (ADSM_PASSWORD) =

> Andy Carlson                             |\      _,,,---,,_
> andyc AT andyc.carenet DOT org            ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
> BJC Health System                       |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
> St. Louis, Missouri                    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)
> Cat Pics: http://andyc.dyndns.org/animal.html
>
> On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Cook, Dwight E wrote:
>
> > How are you backing up your DB2 files ?
> > OK, I should probably say "You are archiving the db2 files rather than have
> > nightly incremental processing deal with them."
> > The archive command allows you to specify a managemet class to bind the data
> > to...
> >         -archmc=some_management_class
> > used like
> >         dsmc archive -archmc=30dayarc -pass=blah /d101/DB2/mydb2file
> >
> > So what every you are using to back it up... basically you have two
> > choices...
> > 1)      bring down the DB
> >         save all the data files (archive them away)
> > 2)      put the DB (or table space at a time) in backup mode (or what every
> > for which flavor of DBblah you have
> >         save the DB files (or the files associated with the table space)
> >
> > either way it makes sense to "save the data" via an adsm archive and use the
> > -archmc  option... (that way when the boss says "We have to keep tonight's
> > DB archives for 10 years !" it is really really easy to do...
> >
> > Dwight

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)