ADSM-L

Re: Why doesn't it show me AIX filesystems ??

2000-04-07 08:36:09
Subject: Re: Why doesn't it show me AIX filesystems ??
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 08:36:09 -0400
>I've got the following Problem: I started to test backing up some AIX Machines
>with ADSM Release 3.1.2.50 on OS/390 V2.5.
>
>The backup is going without any problems, but now comes the curiosity: when I
>want to restore some files, I can Login to the Machines, but I see no backed up
>files. And when I look to the ADSM Server, he tells me that the Platform of the
>two AIX Machines is WinNT, not AIX.  Does anybody now this Problem? What do I
>have to do that I can restore files to my AIX machines? On teh server I can see
>the backed up filespaces of the two machines.
>
>Please help me, it's very important for me.
>
>Another question: How can I reply to a specific question or answer of a member
>of this Listserver? It's the first time I'm subscribed to a Listserver, so I
>don't know how all this works. Please help me in this question too, cause I've
>got some answers to some questions I received in the past.

Robert - If you see no backed up files from that machine, and the platform
         is not what it should be, then the backups are not exactly going
without problems.  Do 'dsmc q o' on the client to see to what server the files
are actually going, and 'dsmc q m' to verify management class.  Make sure you
are root when attempting to query backed up files.  Do 'dsmc q f' to see what
the last backup really was.

    It sounds like there was an administration problem in your shop such that
the client name which was once WinNT is now AIX.  *SM has traditionally
retained the Platform ID that was initially used when the client interacted
with the server, so when clients are retired they should likewise get their
gold watch from *SM to prevent this kind of confusion.

    Poke around in the server to see what's really going on, as in doing
Query Nodes, Query Filespaces, etc.

    As to using the List: simply respond to the email, making sure that the
response goes back to ADSM-L if you want the whole membership to see it,
rather than what may be in the Reply-To header.

       Richard Sims, BU