ADSM-L

Re: running dsmserv as a ksh co-routine

2000-04-06 04:58:37
Subject: Re: running dsmserv as a ksh co-routine
From: Walter Ridderhof <Walter.Ridderhof AT MAIL.ING DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 09:58:37 +0100
     Dave,

     which version of *SM are you using, my experience is that the ANR8302
     is certainly something to watch out for but is mostly accompanied by a
     higher level event stating the fact that a volume was set te read-only
     due to write errors. We're catching these errors using the event
     mechanisms in *SM (tivoli, userexit).
     If I would chose a method to catch certain *SM events I would
     certainly follow the route I've followed till now but add for example
     an event interpreter to further process a critical event. This is
     something you could do with a monitoring tool such as HP-Openview or
     Tivoli-T/EC.
     At the moment I'm watching *SM events sent to me by mail using a
     userexit (the userexit writes filtered events to disk which are then
     processed by a mail agent), but the same mechanisme could be used to
     do some intelligent processing on the *SM server itself.
     The flexability of using the *SM event mechanism is that event
     filtering can be done within *SM leaving you with some event fine
     tuning but with the end result that only those events critical for you
     can/will be let thru (missed backup's, db/log problems, drive
     failures, tape errors, etc etc etc.)

     my two cents worth,

     regards Walter Ridderhof.