ADSM-L

Re: Storage Pool Cache is Out of Storage During Backup

2015-10-04 17:31:35
Subject: Re: Storage Pool Cache is Out of Storage During Backup
From: Oliver Janzen [SMTP:OJANZEN AT DE.IBM DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi Richard, thanx for your comment!

Yes, that seems to be the problem.
It=B4s a box which is used as server for new install packages.
These packages are big and compressed.
Maybe we shall switch compression off.
Better =3D> Compressalways No
(I hope this helps)

Oliver.

"Bates, Richard" <Richard.Bates AT VERTEX.CO DOT UK> on 05.04.2000 11:00:42

To:   undisclosed-recipients:;, ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:    (bcc: Oliver Janzen/Germany/IBM)

Oliver,

We have had this problem when a client tries to backup up already
"compressed" files and has the client option "compression on" set in the
dsm.opt.

By compressed files I mean zip or tar files.  We have found that the =
files
start to expand during additional compression and then exceed the size
estimates.

Richard.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Technical Services (ADSM) - Dawson House
Int: 33298  Ext: (44) 1925 233298  Mob: 0961 146738

On 04 April 2000 10:35, Oliver Janzen [SMTP:OJANZEN AT DE.IBM DOT COM] wrote:
> Hi *SMers,
>
> Maybe anyone has got an idea/solution to the following problem:
> (Server 3.1.2.50    on AIX 4.3.2
> Client 3.1.0.6 on NT 4.0 SP 3)
>
> We=B4ve a storage pool with caching enabled. This storage pool has
> a PCT_UTIL of 99,9 %, which is normal after a much Backup-cycles,
> since PCT_UTIL includes the cached copies. (Nevertheless, the data
> are migrated each morning.)
>
> When performing incremental backups of our clients some (mainly big)
> files are not backuped because of the following error message:
> ANR0534W Transaction failed for session ...
>               <Client_name> - size estimate exceeded and server is =
unable
>               obtain additional space in storage pool <stgpool_name>
>
> The reason is - as I understood - that ADSM frees
> only that amount of space on the disks (deletes cached files)
> what it estimated for the file. If it underestimated the space needed,
> it looks for more free space in the stgpool, but can not free more
> space by deleting cached files.
>
> Does anyone of you know about a solution?
> Is there any option or any fix which optimizes the estimation =
procedure?
> Or any option to keep a distinct amount of the storage pool real free
(not
> used
> with cached files?)
> Maybe setting a retry for the backup of such failed files?
>
> The problem is that the files are really not backed up.
>

> Kindly regards, Oliver Janzen.

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only
for the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain
privileged and confidential information. If you have
received this message in error or there are any problems,
please notify the sender immediately and delete the message
from your computer. The unauthorised use, disclosure,
copying or alteration of this message is forbidden. Neither
Vertex Data Science Limited nor any of its subsidiaries
will be liable for direct, special, indirect or
consequential damage as a result of any virus being passed
on, or arising from alteration of the contents of this
message by a third party.

Vertex Data Science Limited (England and Wales No. 3153391)
registered office Vertex House, Greencourts Business Park,
333 Styal Road, Manchester, M22 5TX