ADSM-L

Re: tape libraries

2000-04-05 15:50:58
Subject: Re: tape libraries
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT NISA.GC DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:50:58 -0500
There is a parameter on the migration to specify the number of processes. You
are correct about the second and third paragraph.

I wanted to reply to offer my 2 cents about the number of drives- more seems to
be better. We have 3575 with 6 drives. I have 4 migration processes set up. I
can reclaim multiple storage pools at once. And every so often tapes get stuck
in a drive. If you can afford more, I'd say it's worth it.

Miles

----------------
Miles Purdy, System Manager
Miles Purdy, System Manager
purdym AT nisa.gc DOT ca
Net Income Stabilization Account
Winnipeg, MB, CA
(204) 984-1602

>>> Gerald Wichmann <gwichmann AT SANSIA DOT COM> 05-Apr-00 2:24:33 PM >>>
How does TSM use a tape library with multiple tape drives? For example, if I
have a tape library with 2 tape drives and a migration kicks off, will it
mount a tape in each tape drive for better throughput and migrate to two
tapes at once?

During reclamation does it mount a scratch in one drive and the tape being
reclaimed in the other and go straight from tape to tape?

What happens if someone kicks off a restore that requires a tape and both
tapes are being used (if they*re both being used) as in the above instances?
I*m assuming the higher priority process (restore) halts the
migration/reclamation like it does on a single drive library and grabs a
drive*?

I guess overall I*m just wondering how TSM takes advantage of the 2nd drive
in the library.. I*m familiar with libraries with 1 drive up until this
point but will soon work with one with 2..

Gerald Wichmann
RS Engineer
Sansia System Solutions
408-844-8893 work