ADSM-L

tape libraries

2000-04-05 15:24:53
Subject: tape libraries
From: Gerald Wichmann <gwichmann AT SANSIA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 12:24:53 -0700
How does TSM use a tape library with multiple tape drives? For example, if I
have a tape library with 2 tape drives and a migration kicks off, will it
mount a tape in each tape drive for better throughput and migrate to two
tapes at once?

During reclamation does it mount a scratch in one drive and the tape being
reclaimed in the other and go straight from tape to tape?

What happens if someone kicks off a restore that requires a tape and both
tapes are being used (if they?re both being used) as in the above instances?
I?m assuming the higher priority process (restore) halts the
migration/reclamation like it does on a single drive library and grabs a
drive??

I guess overall I?m just wondering how TSM takes advantage of the 2nd drive
in the library.. I?m familiar with libraries with 1 drive up until this
point but will soon work with one with 2..

Gerald Wichmann
RS Engineer
Sansia System Solutions
408-844-8893 work