ADSM-L

Re: Management Classes

2000-04-05 12:04:32
Subject: Re: Management Classes
From: Lindsay Morris <lmorris AT OPENMIC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 12:04:32 -0400
I agree that the "multiple clients" statement is misleading.

And in your situation, the need to give control and responsibility to
one admin for a subset of nodes makes using domains ideal.

But for most cases (even within your domains, maybe) a domain mostly
means "retention policies".
In other words, a node will, by default, use the versions/retention
numbers in
        the backup copygroup in
        the default management class in
        the active policyset in
        the node's domain.

Now, if you want DIFFERENT policies than that default, you have to make
a different mgmtclass, right? So where do you put it?

You can either:
        put the new mgmtclass in a DIFFERENT domain, and "update node  ...
domain=new", or
        put the new mgmtclass in the SAME domain, and add "include * mgmtclass"
to your inclexcl file.

If you use a different domain, you have two problems:
        1. You can't use open registration, which dumps all new nodes into
domain STANDARD.
        2. You can't have different policies for a filesystem - unless you use
the inclexcl file.

So if you have to use the inclexcl file anyway, why not use it for
everything, just to keep life simple?

On a slightly different thread, how should we separate out nodes into
domains?  It's sort of obvious to say "NT nodes here, UNIX nodes there"
but if "domain" mostly means "retention policies", then it doesn't
make a lot of sense to group nodes by OS.  AIX node A and NT node B
might well have the same retention requirements.  Better to group them
by business function.

That's my thinking anyway.  Comments welcome.

--
Mr. Lindsay Morris