ADSM-L

Re: Management Classes

2015-10-04 17:31:35
Subject: Re: Management Classes
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Rick,

        While I agree with the sentiments of Rick Smith, his statement:

multiple policy domains would require multiple clients installed on a single
machine, as a node can only belong to one policy domain.

is somewhat misleading in my opinion.  While it is true a client can belong
to only one domain, you could install a single set of software and run
multiple schedulers pointing to different options files.  The different
options files could contain unique node name parameters, thus having a
single physical node belonging to multiple domains.  This would raise the
issues of system performance with possible multiple *SM scheduled tasks
running concurrently.

        On the issue of multiple domains, I have 14 domains on an OS/390
server with 160+ clients.  My situation may be somewhat unique.  We function
as a service agency for all of our states' governmental agencies.  We chose
to allow each agency to have a *SM administrator responsible for their
respective server backups.  Since we have such a diverse community with
varying needs with respect to backup functions (retention periods,
archiving, databases, etc.), it is easier for us to separate the *SM
administrative functions above the domain level from the user community of
local admins.  Each local admin then has the ability to do actions for their
domain only, without affecting other agency strategies.  This relieves me
from having to do daily tasks regarding verifying backups, maintaining
options files, upgrading clients, etc. and places these duties back where
they belong and where the best control should be - with the users.  I still
have enough to do with double checking some functions such as backup
performance, pool levels, and other resource balancing; not to mention the
resolution of user problems and trying to stay on top of everything else
with *SM.

        Gary L. Ison
        Governor's Office for Technology
        101 Cold Harbor Drive
        Frankfort, Ky.   40601
        Phone:  (502) 564-8724
            Fax:  (502) 564-6856
E-mail: Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky DOT us <mailto:Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky
DOT us>