ADSM-L

AIX HSM vs defragfs?

2000-04-03 21:49:06
Subject: AIX HSM vs defragfs?
From: John Valdes <j-valdes AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 20:49:06 -0500
All,

A week or two ago I posted about a problem we had creating files
larger than 4MB on an AIX ADSM HSM filesystem (see the "Help! AIX HSM
problem" thread).  It turns out that this problem is due to free space
fragmentation on the large file enabled jfs underlying the HSM fs.

Now, AIX provides the command "defragfs" to cure such free space
fragmentation problems.  However, I doubt it was written w/ HSM in
mind, and so I'm a little hesitant to run this on our HSM filesystem.
Does anyone know whether this command can be safely used on an HSM
filesystem?  Is it necessary or prudent to unmount the fsm mount of
the fs before running defragfs?

I'm in the process of setting up a scratch HSM to test this, but any
comments or suggestions would be helpful.

This is AIX 4.2.1, ADSM 3.1.0.8, btw.

Thanks,

John