ADSM-L

Re: 3590 Tape Drives more questions

2000-03-31 03:53:34
Subject: Re: 3590 Tape Drives more questions
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 09:53:34 +0100
David,
I was thinking of my own conversion which we have done on a phased basis.
Initially moving only our large servers over to the new tape technology.
We therefore continued to write 3490, which is why we needed the devclass with
different prefix for the 9840s.
Otherwise the silo wouldn't have been able to differentiate scratch mounts.
However if your future  adsm write requirement  is all 3590, then you should be
able to stay with your existing prefix.
You will need to make all your pre-existing tape pool volumes  read only.
3590 is different technology from 18/36 track tape, so you will need to retain
some 3490 drives to read the old tapes.
John

"David Browne." <dbrowne AT HUMANA DOT COM> on 30/03/2000 18:37:50