ADSM-L

Re: MKSYSB Failure After TSM Install

2015-10-04 17:32:30
Subject: Re: MKSYSB Failure After TSM Install
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
OK, I'll put my two cents in...

I seem to recall having this problem along time ago too. As I recall, the
simple solution was making mt0 unavailable via AIX, andthan making rmt0
available for the mksysb. i.e.
                rmdev -l mt0
mt0 should now be in a defined state
                mkdev -l rmt0
rmt0 should be in an Available state

When done, just reverse it with a rmdev -l rmt0 then mkdev -l mt0.

As always it is good practice to udate the drive state within *SM to offline
when using the rmt device.

> All,
>
> I ran the command mksysb -i -X /dev/rmt0 and received
> the following messages:
>
> Creating information file (/image.data) for rootvg.....
> Creating tape boot image./dev/rmt0.1: There is a request
> to a device or address that does not exist.
> 0512-044 mksysb: Cannot access device /dev/rmt0.1.
> tctl retension failed with return code 2.
>
> The box is a 4.3.3 7248-43P with an external IBM
> 7206-005 DDS-2 4GB tape drive.  And yes I have verified
> that the special files rmt0 and rmt0.1 are present
> in the dev dir.
>
> This is a brand new machine EXCEPT that it has a 3.7.2.0
> TSM server on it and I am also using the same tape drive
> for local TSM backups.  So in order to use the 4mm tape
> drive I had to go into smit and define a TSM tape drive on
> top of the rmt drive.  Of course I have already tried
> deleting the entire TSM drive including the special files
> to no avail.  And I have even delete all the definitions
> ran cfgmgr and also rebooted, but nothing seems to allow
> me to get a good mksysb.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> --
> Joshua S. Bassi
> Senior Technical Consultant
> Symatrix Technology, Inc.
> jbassi AT gloryworks DOT com

---
---
Scott L. Pond                                           pond AT netcom DOT com
Scott L. Pond                                           pond AT netcom DOT com
                                                        spond AT elcamino DOT
com
---
---