ADSM-L

Re: Can the Database be built from the storage pool backup tapes?

2000-03-30 04:08:31
Subject: Re: Can the Database be built from the storage pool backup tapes?
From: Andreas Buser <andreas.buser AT BASLER DOT CH>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:08:31 +0200
No, ADSM can not do this, but....

ADSM has a forwardrecovery based database, like traditional DBMS.

The loss of information in the DB is handeled like DBMS, wich means
DB,Saves, logging, mirroring and so on.

ADSM has a much more possibilities in media handling and administration
than other products. Thats why there is no possibillity to rebuild a
database.

And I wouldn' have to wait for it: Our little ADSM Installation has 9 GB DB
, about 100 Clients (Mostly Servers , like Netware, Solaris, NT, etc) with
millions of files. The data is on about 500 3590 Magstars cartdriges.

Reading  all of them.....  No thanks.

Kind Regards
Andreas Buser

Tel: ++41 61 285 73 21  Fax: ++41 61 285 70 98

Email: Andreas.Buser AT Basler DOT ch

Address:
Basler Versicherungen
Andreas Buser
Abt. Informatik
Aeschengraben 21
4002 Basel
Switzerland

                    "Fujikawa,
                    Walt"                An:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <WFujikaw@EBM        Kopie:
                    UD.COM>              Thema:  Can the Database be built from
the storage pool backup tapes?
                    Gesendet von:
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    30.03.00
                    00:37
                    Bitte
                    antworten an
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Running 3.1.2.50 for Windows NT with a Magstar tape library for primary and
DLT for copy pool.

Networker does it!

Seagate / Veritas does it!

Can the ADSM database be built by reading in the storage pool or copy pool
tapes, instead of restoring the database from a tape backup of the
database?