ADSM-L

RMAN - Oracle 8.0.5 - TSM 3.7 - Shared Memory

2000-03-27 12:53:29
Subject: RMAN - Oracle 8.0.5 - TSM 3.7 - Shared Memory
From: Mark Owens <Mark_Owens AT PRODIGY DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:53:29 -0500
AIX Server            : TSM 3.7.2
 API Client             :          3.7.0
 TSM Client           :           3.7.1
 TDP for Oracle     :     PTF IP21890
Oracle                   : 8.0.5 32bit
AIX                       : 4.3.2

Hi All,

Forgive me for the re-post but I'd love to talk to anyone who it using COMMethod
shared memory with RMAN, TSM 3.7 and Oracle 8.0.5. I am unable to initialize
shared memory via an Oracle API to TSM API call. Commethod TCP/IP works
as advertised.

Aside from changing the commethod to sharedmemory and the port from 1500 to
1510, permissions and ownership appear to have to be modified for the API
binary. Does anybody have this working?

I have comm method TCPIP working backing up oracle 8.0.5 dbf's or databases
I have comm method TCPIP working backing up oracle 8.0.5 dbf's or databases
 to TSM server 3.7.2. For eval purposes, the TSM server and oracle database
reside
 on the same rs6k therefore I'd like to exploit comm method SHARED MEMORY.

 I'm able to get shared memory to work for everything except TDP for Oracle
 using 32bit. (The error messages I get are in the subject)

 All doc mentions that AT LEAST one of four conditions must be met in order to
 avoid shared memory communication errors.

 1) Use PASSWORDACCESS generate to exercise the trusted Communications
      agent DSMTCA. **** In my case, TDP for Oracle requires PASSWORD
      ACCESS prompt as defined on page 19 of  SH26-4061-01 Installing the
      Oracle Backup Agent on AIX 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3. the password utility aobpswd
      requires PROMPT to the best of my knowledge so no luck here ****

 2) The client user ID must be root.......... this is not applicable to our shop
 3) The client and server user ID must be the same.... also not applicable here.

 4) Change the permissions and ownership for ?????????? The manual
      shows examples of /usr/tivoli/tsm/bin/dsmadm and dsmadmc and then
      chown root.system and chmod u+s.

      My question is......... which API program is being invoked during the TDP
      for Oracle backup effort which doesn't have the appropriate authority? I'm
      pretty sure its not dsmadmc. I believe its libApiDS.a but when I change
the
      ownership/permissions.... is still fails.

 Any help would be appreciated....tia.....Mark

--
Mark Owens
Mark Owens