ADSM-L

Monitoring thresholds

2000-03-27 12:11:45
Subject: Monitoring thresholds
From: Eng Tan <ETAN AT TUC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:11:45 -0600
I would like to monitor the following and would like to get generate an alert
(mail/page).

(1) When ADSM is sitting on MediaW for X amount of time.

We have DB2 API backups to ADSM performed under the direct control of DBAs
which is all under a batch schedule (DB2 backups is under a job schedule
(autosys) which is dependent on some other jobs finishing (i.e. can't be
scheduled at a fixed time) and have experience tape contention every so often.
When this occurs at some odd hours in the night or morning 12pm or 3am, the
MediaW times out after 1 hour (set to 1 hour).

I am unable to get any records of this in the actlog but am able to do a q
sess, q mount and q proc and cancel whatever sessions that can hold to free up
tapes (we have 6 tape drives 3590) in a 3494 library.  The scheduled backups
are working fine as I am able to plan and have the daily backups staggered over
a time period to accomodate the enviroment.  I have set tape_reclamation on at
80 as it's hard to plan a fixed time to actually do it and seems better to have
ADSM perform it when it needs to.

As this does not happen very often, I would like to avoid getting more tape
drives for now but would like to be a little more proactive.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

E. Meng Tan
Trans Union Corporation