ADSM-L

How long data retained if not backing up clients

2000-03-24 12:38:35
Subject: How long data retained if not backing up clients
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:38:35 +0000
A little query which I am sure you will all think "thats obvious"
I have some clients that have been decommissioned and the user has said can you
remove them from the schedules, but keep the data for a year.
If the clients are removed from the schedules and/or decommissioned so they can
not back up,  how will expiration processing affect the data.
I am pretty sure that active versions will be retained until I delete the
filespaces after a year, and that inactive versions will go after 60 days
including the only version of a file already marked as inactive. But that,
because no new backups are happening, no more files will be marked as inactive.
Are my assumptions correct and will exactly the same apply when we upgrade to
TSM.
Our ADSM is Version 3, Release 1, Level 2.40
The default backup retention is
 Policy Domain Name: NWSTD
      Policy Set Name: ACTIVE
      Mgmt Class Name: STANDARD
      Copy Group Name: STANDARD
      Copy Group Type: Backup
 Versions Data Exists: 3
Versions Data Deleted: 1
Retain Extra Versions: 60
  Retain Only Version: 60
            Copy Mode: Modified
   Copy Serialization: Shared Static
       Copy Frequency: 0
     Copy Destination: NWSTD

Thanks,
John

The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
Energy plc.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
the error in transmission.

Scottish Hydro-Electric and Southern Electric are trading names of
Scottish and Southern Energy Group