ADSM-L

Re: RMAN managing ACTIVE/INACTIVE Backupsets/pieces

2015-10-04 17:32:30
Subject: Re: RMAN managing ACTIVE/INACTIVE Backupsets/pieces
From: Mark Owens [SMTP:Mark_Owens AT PRODIGY DOT NET]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Thanks Gary!

Concerning your bottom line suggestion, I don't fear the DBA's..... its
the software strategy (API) that makes me shudder. The user of the TSM
client API
is powerless to stop anything from happening that the TSM DB is unaware of.
In other words, RMAN will always do its thing. How does one prevent RMAN
from deleting its entries if the API can't communicate w/TSM?

Gary Ison wrote:

> Mark,
>
>         I hit the same wall recently.  The only way to do what you want is
> to backup the recovery catalog before you do the delete and restore it
> afterwards.  Obviously, you would want to backup the current one before
> restoring the old one.  I had to delete all the filespaces for the agent,
> the DBA had to delete all his entries, and we started all over again.
> That's one lesson learned the hard way, by the DBA and myself.
>
>         Bottom line, make sure the DBAs read the doc and know how to
> manipulate the backups using the agent before you go into production.
Don't

--
Mark Owens
Mark Owens