ADSM-L

Re: Help on Backing Up Clustered Disks or Why are disks not visible t o BS client

2000-03-22 17:28:23
Subject: Re: Help on Backing Up Clustered Disks or Why are disks not visible t o BS client
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:28:23 -0700
Hi Gary,

A node can either back up cluster disks or local disks,
but not both. The recommendation is to use multiple
nodes: one for cluster disks and another for local disks.

The dsm.opt file for the node that backs up cluster
disks must have CLUSTERNODE YES. The dsm.opt file for the
node that backs up local disks must omit CLUSTERNODE (or
specify NO for the option).

You will probably want to implement the scheduler to, so
here is a prior post I made on that topic (I know you are
running 3.7.1.0, but you need the fixtest described in
item #1 below; I recommend it even for the interactive
clients):

1) I gather you are running the 3.7.0.0 client. I would recommend
   upgrading to fixtest level 3.7.1.06, which fixes several
   problems including the some cluster-related problems.

   The fixtest can be downloaded from ftp site
   ftp.software.ibm.com. The directory to go to is

storage/tivoli-storage-management/patches/client/v3r7/Windows/v371/i386/.

   From there you can choose the 'multi' or 'single' directory
   if you want to download one large image, or several smaller
   images (either way, you get the exact same code, it's whichever
   is most convenient for you). Locate the files that begin with
   IP21806_06. Be sure to read IP21806_06.README.FTP file first,
   as it includes download and install information.

   Also, at the top of the IP21806_06.README.FTP file is a list
   of APARs fixed by this fixtest. IC25014 is probably causing
   you the most grief, as it addresses the problem where you get
   message:

   ANS1107E Invalid option/value: '-ClusterNode='Yes''

2) When you install the service on the cluster system, be sure to
   specify /CLUSTERNODE:YES and /GROUP:clustername in the
   DSMCUTIL INSTALL command. "clustername" is the name of the cluster
   in which the machine participates. (Yes, I know that /GROUP is a
   poor name for the option; this should be fixed in an upcoming
   PTF.) Also, the client options file (dsm.opt) that is used by
   this service must have CLUSTERNODE YES in it.

3) When running DSMCUTIL SHOWPW or DSMCUTIL UPDATEPW for the node on
   the cluster machine, you must specify the /CLUSTERNODE:YES and
   /GROUP:clustername, just as you did when you installed the scheduler
   service.

4) Do not "bounce" a node back & forth between CLUSTERNODE YES and
   CLUSTERNODE NO, as this will wreak havoc with the encrypted
   password in the registry (you will see symptoms like disappearing
   node entries in the registry and authentication failures - rc 137 -
   in dsmerror.log). If you configure a node for cluster support, then
   always use the cluster support for that node.

5) The /CLUSTERNODE:YES and /GROUP:clustername options for DSMCUTIL
   are applicable to scheduler services only. The web client services
   (client acceptor, remote client agent) do not support these options.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

Hi folks,

        I'm looking for help on why certain local drives are not visible to
the BA client.  The platform is NT 4.0, unknown SP level, with 8 local
disks
defined (C, E-K) with full control access by the system account.  When the
BA GUI is started, only the C and E drives show as local drives.  The
drives
can be backed up by the command line client using the syntax "sel x:\*
-su=yes".  I am told that the drives F-K are defined to the Microsoft disk
clustering software.
clustering software.

        I'm running Tivoli client level 3.7.1.0 on the client.  The options
file contains entries for a specific directory backup and exclude all other
directories, i. e.

                Exclude F:\...\*
                Include F:\sub-dir\...\*

in this sequence.

        My questions are 1) does anybody have any experience with this type
of environment; 2) is anyone aware of any agent software that can interface
with the clustering software; 3) does anyone have any answers to why a disk
is invisible to the BA client outside the clustering scenario?

        Any help would be greatly appreciated and as an added incentive
(?),
I have about 50 *SM scripts I'll give to the winning solution(s).

        Thanks in advance for the many replies I'm sure I'll receive.

        Gary L. Ison
        Governor's Office for Technology
        101 Cold Harbor Drive
        Frankfort, Ky.   40601
        Phone:  (502) 564-8724
            Fax:  (502) 564-6856
E-mail: Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky DOT us <mailto:Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky
DOT us>