ADSM-L

Compressing Files

2015-10-04 17:32:30
Subject: Compressing Files
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
My understanding of TSM and compression is as follows. You can do
compression on the client side and/or when the data is pushed to tape by the
tape drive s compression capability  BUT you can t do it on the server side.
For example if I find the load on my client boxes with compression on is too
great (which we have found) and turn it off, the data being backed up is NOT
compressed and goes into the initial pool (disk storage pool) as such. Not
until it s pushed to tape does it actually receive any compression.

Can you get the server to compress the data before it gets put into the disk
storage pools, thus saving disk storage pool space and reducing the load on
clients?

Thanks!