ADSM-L

Re: Daily work scheduling

2000-03-21 09:28:07
Subject: Re: Daily work scheduling
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:28:07 -0600
I take in 1.5 TB of client compressed data across 12 adsm servers nightly
my daily scheduled events are single tasks with a set period of time between
them (as you first did)
you can get fancy and write external scripts to watch things and start new
tasks once other tasks finish but...
I just assign set windows for each of the activities and that's the way it
goes
If I have a moment of idle time on an adsm server I view it as a great
success ;-)
the end users generally beat me to a pulp 24 hours a day pushing hot & cold
DB backups at me nightly and redo logs hourly all day long not to mention
the creation of alternate environments from archives of  existing ones

I set specific windows on my adsm servers for
client incremental processing (server scheduled client events)
migration of storage pools (disk to tape)
expire inventory
audit license
adsm DB backup
reclamation
storage pool backup (tape to tape)

If things get finished in their windows all is well, when they start to
exceed their windows I have to do something, either jump on users for doing
something massive and not giving me a heads up, look into client traffic,
look into the general health & well being of the adsm server... can also be
a good indicator of when to scale up the environment...

just a note on what I do, be it right or wrong, its just the way I deal with
it.

later,
       Dwight