ADSM-L

Re: adsm3.1 to tsm 3.7 gotcha

2000-03-20 15:21:53
Subject: Re: adsm3.1 to tsm 3.7 gotcha
From: Rik Foote <Rik_Foote AT WESTPACTRUST.CO DOT NZ>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:21:53 +1200
We don't have any DRM or server-to-server licenses but are managing to
exchange DB backups b/w 2 ADSM servers manually.

Our environment is
OS = SUN Solaris v2.6
ADSM = v3.1.2.1
2 x 3590 (B11s) with a 10-slot ACL SCSI library each

We set up the following manual DB exchange between our servers to save
having to use one scratch cart per day in our 10 slot stackers for DB
backups, as we use almost all the 10 carts daily for archive/backup. If we
used one cart per day, and kept each for one week we practically had to
devote one whole stacker to DB backups unless we checked out the cartridge
each day and replaced it.

We were able to do it by

o    writing the DB backups to disk (COMMAND = backup db type=full
devclass=dbbackup)
o    then using a UNIX script to transmit them to the second server
o    Once there they are archived (retention period = one week) and deleted
by the second server (COMMAND = -archm=MC1WEEKA -delete -filesonly)

We do this both ways between the two servers. So we are able to retain
copies of our DB at both sites, doing away with the need for copying the db
backup carts and sending them offsite.

DEVCLASS=DBBACKUP is as follows

adsm> q devclass dbbackup f=d

             Device Class Name: DBBACKUP
        Device Access Strategy: Sequential
            Storage Pool Count: 0
                   Device Type: FILE
                        Format:
         Est/Max Capacity (MB): 500.0
                   Mount Limit: 1
              Mount Wait (min):
         Mount Retention (min):
                  Label Prefix:
                       Library:
                     Directory: /opt/IBMadsm-c/backup
                   Server Name:
                  Retry Period:
                Retry Interval:
Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
         Last Update Date/Time: 03/10/2000 10:56:21

Hope this helps.

Rik

Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE> on 16/03/2000 23:42:24