ADSM-L

Server misses admin command schedules

2000-03-17 17:11:38
Subject: Server misses admin command schedules
From: Rainer Heyt <rainer.heyt AT SYSTEMATICS DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 23:11:38 +0100
Von:  Rainer Heyt@SYSTEMATICS am 17.03.2000 23:11

An:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Kopie:
Thema:    Server misses admin command schedules

We encounter the strange symptom, that the ADSM/AIX server
(NSM with level 3.1.2.50) misses admin command schedules.
The admin command is scheduled for 8 pm, the event log shows:

Scheduled Start          Actual Start             Schedule Name     Status
--------------------              --------------------
-------------
----------
               ------
               ------
3/15/00 21:00:00                                              EXPIRE_INVEN-
Missed

TORY
The aclog show this message:

03/16/00 07:10:02     ANR2578I Schedule EXPIRE_INVENTORY in domain
@ServerCmd@     for node  has missed its scheduled start up window.

As you can see, this message occurs 10 hours later in the actlog, the
duration of the schedlule was set to 2 hours.

The ADSM server is admittedly always very busy with many parallel tasks/threads,
the biggest one is backing up a primary SAP tape pool of about 300 GB data ,
which runs from 6 pm to 6 am daily.

I suspect  that ADSM has an internal counter for max. parallel server
processes and we reach this limit so the server can't process its own
admin command schedules.
Any similar experiences?

At the moment some of the essential admin schedules like 'expire inventory',
'backup db' or  updating diskpool migration  thresholds to force migration
to tape are 'missed'.

Rainer Heyt

Systematics SERVICE GmbH
Monreposstraße 53
71634 Ludwigsburg

Telefon:  +49 (07141) 238 - 11
Fax:      +49 (07141) 238 - 88
Mobil:    +49 (0172) 9778281
e-Mail:   rainer.heyt AT systematics DOT de