ADSM-L

Re: How to give different MVS dsn for primary and copy tape pool ?

2000-03-17 09:58:52
Subject: Re: How to give different MVS dsn for primary and copy tape pool ?
From: "Toora, Kuli" <kulbinder.toora AT NPOWER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:58:52 -0000
Paul,

We are an MVA shop and we used DFRMM to manage our tapes.

You need to define the prefix to use in your define devclass parameter.

Here is the manual entry for defining devclasses:

-----------
PREFIX=tapevolprefix
PREFIX=tapevolprefix

     Specifies the high-level qualifier of the data set name in the tape
labels. For all tape volumes assigned to this device class, ADSM uses this
prefix to create the
     data set name. This parameter is optional. The default value is ADSM.

     Values specified for this parameter must meet the following conditions:

          The value is to be made up of qualifiers, which can contain up to
8 characters (including periods). For example, the following value would be
          acceptable:

               AB.CD2.E

          The qualifiers must be separated by a single period.

          The first letter of each qualifier must be alphabetical or
national (@,#,$), followed by alphabetical, national, hyphen, or numeric
characters.

     An example of a tape volume data set name using the default prefix,
with an ADSM qualifier added, is ADSM.BFS.

     If you have already established a tape label naming convention that
supports your current tape management system, consider using a tape volume
prefix that
     conforms to your naming conventions.
-------------
This applies to MVS. Your prefix can be upto 8 characters including the
This applies to MVS. Your prefix can be upto 8 characters including the
periods, ie fullstops between qualifiers.

We, for instance use the following DEFINE DEVCLASS OFFCART DEVTYPE=Cartridge
MAXCAPACITY=0K ESTCAPACITY=737280K PREFIX=ADSM0.DD etc...

The suffix of BFS cannot be changed.

We use the DD bit of the prefix to distinguish between what needs to go
offsite and what needs to stay onsite.

If you need any more info drop me a line.

Thanks,

Kuli.

Kulbinder Toora
NPEC (National Power Energy Co)
e-mail Kulbinder.Toora AT NPOWER DOT COM
01384 296191 x3498

postmaster AT meb.co DOT uk or postmaster AT npower DOT com

This outgoing e-mail (and any attachments) has been checked
(using Sophos SAVI 3.30 and Dr Solomon's v8.00) before leaving us
(UK 01384 296191), and has been found to be clean from any virus infection.

Virus queries - PC Tech Support (09 3521)
E-mail system - External Postmaster (09 3673).