ADSM-L

Sharing STK 9310 Powderhorn Tape Libraries

2000-03-16 13:01:18
Subject: Sharing STK 9310 Powderhorn Tape Libraries
From: Vint Maggs <vint.maggs AT SRS DOT GOV>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 13:01:18 -0500
We are running TSM 3.7.2.0 and ACSLS 5.3.2, both on Solaris 2.6.  When we
are fully operational we _plan_ to have 3 STK 9310 Powderhorn Tape
Libraries interconnected supporting 2 or 3 TSM servers with the Enterprise
Administration package. We are using 9840 tape drives.

I am wondering if library sharing is a good idea.  Would it be best to let
a single TSM server manage the libraries and media, or share them?  I am
concerned aboout media management issues, ie, that a tape that belongs to
TSM server A could get overwritten by TSM server B.  It seems that
multiple TSM servers are aware of each other if configured properly but do
they communicate well enough to know who owns which tape, etc.  How would
sharing affect the checkin libvol command?  If you allow one TSM server to
manage the library, and the server crashes, will library management
"roll-over" to the other TSM server or would the libraries be dead in the
water?  What roll does Enterprise Administration play in this?

Your experiences and comments would be most useful.

Vint Maggs
TSM Administrator
Westinghouse Savannah River Co.