ADSM-L

Re: New Install AIX/TSM 3.7 Server Won't Start - Solved!

2000-03-16 12:01:36
Subject: Re: New Install AIX/TSM 3.7 Server Won't Start - Solved!
From: "Joshua S. Bassi" <jbassi AT GLORYWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 09:01:36 -0800
All,

I have found the cause of the problem thanks to
Charlotte Brooks, Richard Sims, and Tony Rynan.
But Tony no it wasn't 2 it was one...

Because this was on a test box that didn't have
a 8mm tape drive I was not able to update my AIX
from base 4.3.3 to maintenance level 2.  The
problem is that with this base AIX level, paging
space wasn't being varied on.  You wouldn't think
that an elegant product like *SM would care about
paging space especially with some of these new
boxes supporting 64GB of real memory, but I
digress.

I have orded ML 2 to be sent out on CD so I
should be up and running shortly.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Josh

All,
All,

I have a newly installed RS6K 43P with 4.3.3 on it.
After I installed the TSM 3.7.0.0 base code I
attempted to start the server.  From the server
directory I ran dsmserv and it indicated:

"Unable to read disk definition file dsmserv.dsk"

After I took a look I found that not only was the
disk definition file not created, but there wasn't
a DB or Log file.  I used dsmfmt to format both a
DB and Log file and then I ran:

dsmserv format 1 log1.dsm 1 db1.dsm

The server tries to start but stops with:

"Trace/BPT trap(coredump)

I have tried several different things to get the
server up and running including installing the
3.7.2.0 maintenance, but with no luck.

--
Joshua S. Bassi
Joshua S. Bassi