ADSM-L

Re: Question on 9840 tapes.

2000-03-15 03:35:00
Subject: Re: Question on 9840 tapes.
From: Joel Fuhrman <joelf AT CAC.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 00:35:00 -0800
Its hard to give an exact answers, since you don't give any current
configuration information (db size, disk pool (if any), number and type of
drives, number of volumes, and if you have a library/silo).

I love the four 9840's with 100 volumes compared to the four 4490's with a
mix of 1200 short and extended volumes.

Assuming that you have a library/silo, you will find that you have a lot
more free drive time.  If you do frequent restores from tape, request 3
drives.  That way a drive is available for a restore during reclamation or
copy pool creation.  4 drives would give you more flexability.

We did not modify the reclamation process.  Our database is small enough
that we expire and reclaim daily at 60%.  We don't collocate. Because of
the drive speed, you may be able to review the colloation decision.  That
could reduce the number of volumes that you need to buy.