ADSM-L

Re: ADSM on AIX

2000-03-13 15:32:07
Subject: Re: ADSM on AIX
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:32:07 -0500
I agree.  I assume if you are coming from an OS/390 environment, you are
using IBM or STK 3480, 3490, or 3590 or 9840 tape.  Nothing will give you
the tape reliability you are used to, except those same types of tape.  That
means a 3494 with IBM tape, or an STK library with 3490 or 9840 tape.

Next best thing for performance & reliability would be 3575 Magstar, if your
ADSM requirements are small enough to fit one of those libraries.

Next best thing reported in terms of reliability & performance is Sony AIT
tape (haven't tried it myself - see www.adsm.org for a discussion by Kelly
Lipp a couple of months ago.)

Don't do DLT unless, as Joe says, you intend to go direct to tape for a few
large clients.  DLT cannot handle the same duty cycle and repositioning that
the enterprise class drives can.

For the host, it's hard to drive the CPU on and RS6000; If you are backing
up many small systems (i.e., your ADSM data base is large), generally you
will bottleneck on I/O on the db and log  before you run out of cycles.

You need enough disk space for one night's data, as Joe says; also make sure
you buy something that can be expanded in case you need to get additional
controller cards to separate the DB and log I/O from your stgpool I/O.
(Tuning I/O throughput for the RS6000 is pretty much the same as disk
planning for your OS/390 - you can only do one I/O to one disk at a time).

My opionions and nobody else's,

Wanda Prather