ADSM-L

Re: Practical/Real World How-To Source of Information

2000-03-07 16:46:50
Subject: Re: Practical/Real World How-To Source of Information
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 10:46:50 +1300
> Does any one know if there is a practical/realworld source of information that
> cuts to the chase on How-To
> do anything in ADSM?

I printed the Admin Guide, took it home and read it cover-to-cover
over a weekend.  I found that it was a book full of "how do I do X in
ADSM", feature by feature.

Then I set up a test system --- host, client, some disk and a tape
drive --- installed ADSM and worked my way through using and
understanding [nearly] every feature of the product.  Including the
ones we will not be using.  And then figured out how to break and
recover the system.

Sure this took time --- not quite a month --- but at the end of the
exercise I could implement ADSM in a production environment without
too many problems.  And know what it did and did NOT do.

IBM have created "redbooks" on ADSM: www.redbooks.ibm.com.  There are
documents covering database backup, restoring clients from cold,
overviews of ADSM, what is new in TSM.

The other resource you have is this mailing list and archive
(http://www.adsm.org).  Chances are someone has already asked about it
here.

> sometimes but in the real world you sometimes need quick solutions
> to problems.

Yeah... but quick is not always "robust", "sustainable" or "without long
term side effects" and "quick" solutions have this habit of coming
back to haunt.

Russell