ADSM-L

Problems with HSM demand migration

2000-03-03 16:19:50
Subject: Problems with HSM demand migration
From: T Stricklin <tstrickl AT THEAEROCORP DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 15:19:50 -0600
My favorite subject - HSM.  (That was sarcasm, if you didn't notice.)

The HSM documentation says:

     Demand migration    Responds to an out of space condition on a local
                    file system.

                    HSM checks for an out-of-space condition every 2
                    seconds.  If a file system runs out of space, HSM
                    automatically starts threshold migration.  As files
                    are migrated, space becomes available on the file
                    system, and the process that caused the out-of-
                    space condition can continue.  The process does
                    not have to wait until the threshold migration
                    is complete, and you do not receive an out-of-
                    space error message.

This all sounds just marvy, but it never works that way for me.  Whenever
an out-of-space condition occurs, the dsmautomig starts, but I get error
messages in dsmerror.log such as:

     03/01/2000 15:59:50 Error trying to 'write()' lockfile
'/archive/.SpaceMan
     /fslock.pid': There is not enough space in the file system.
     03/01/2000 16:22:05 ANS9149E dsmautomig: cannot create transition stub

     file: There is not enough space in the file system..

And, if it has to run a reconcilliation to generate a candidates list, I'll
get an error because there is no space to write the list to the .SpaceMan
directory.  To get the migration to complete I have to manually move files
out of the file system to free up enough space for HSM to do its thing.

How am I supposed to get around this?  I vaguely remember reading something
to the effect that HSM was supposed to write stuff to /tmp if this problem
arose, but I can't seem to find that in the documentation anywhere.  Should
I move the .SpaceMan directories off to /tmp or somewhere else, then link
them back to their original locations?  That way I'll always (ok, in
theory) have space to at least write the fslock.pid and candidates file,
but it doesn't guarantee that there will be space enough to write a stub
file.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tracy

|       Tracy Stricklin          |
|       Tracy Stricklin          |
| The Aerostructures Corporation |
|         Nashville, TN          |
|   tstricklin AT theaerocorp DOT com   |