ADSM-L

remote & LAN-free back-up

2015-10-04 17:32:29
Subject: remote & LAN-free back-up
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi,

We are currently running ADSM 3.1.2 on an OS/390 (2.7) server. We are
planning to start using ADSM to
1. back-up a number of remote servers (rather large volumes of data)
2. back-up a number of remote users (laptop PC's, small amounts of data)

We were thinking about using the TSM 3.7 lan-free backup feature to back-up
the remote servers. A couple of questions to any-one with any practical
experience in this:
1. has anybody used LAN-free back-up yet, and what are your experiences with
it ?
2. I think we need to upgrade the server to TSM 3.7 for the LAN-free backup
feature; any problems to be expected upgrading from ADSM 3.2 to TSM 3.7
3. anybody got any ideas how we can best use TSM to back-up those laptops ?
Or should we just resort to another product/strategy for that ?

thanks in advance, all advice is welcome.

chris