ADSM-L

Re: Migrate TSM from a 390 to AIX

2000-03-02 23:03:24
Subject: Re: Migrate TSM from a 390 to AIX
From: Len Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 23:03:24 EST
In article <20000302.201638.825541.NETNEWS AT VM.SAS DOT COM>, "Murphy, Craig"
<craig.murphy AT NZ.UNISYS DOT COM> says:

>Hi All
>
>We are looking at moving a ADSM server from a 390 to a RS6000 H70 running
>AIX. I figure exporting then importing should work but we want to use the
>same tape library from the 390 and move it to the AIX server.
>

>Craig Murphy

Hello Craig

I suspect that there is no practical method to do this. I believe that
in one talk, I remember an ADSM dev saying that the db formats and
therefore dump tapes, were not portable across platforms. That the
export server can be used to move node file data, but only by reading
the storage pool
data and writting it to new export tapes. And this would take
a long time. Would it be possible to leave the old adsm server
installed only for restores. It could have the stg pool disk space
stripped from the server. Maybe you could get IBM to wave the MLC (rent)
as part of the deal of buying the software for the new server.

Would it not be nice, if the storage pool and db formats were binary
compatable on all patforms and one could just recovery a data base
tape created on platform A on platform B. (hint instead of the old
character sets they could use  unicode and portable formats for numeric
data as nsf does now).

In the case of 3590's and maybe the new stk tape drives,
they no longer maintain the same format across systems as was done
with the 3480's in the early days. So you might have problems unless
you have the correct type of sharable media. Disks might  work.

You might want to ask your adsm/tsm sales support folks, if you have
them. (The last clause is for the benefit of the nation tsm folks as they
always think that we have functional local support folks).

/len