ADSM-L

Re: Bare Metal Restore from ADSM to Windows NT

2000-03-02 14:58:05
Subject: Re: Bare Metal Restore from ADSM to Windows NT
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 14:58:05 -0500
> I have received a copy of your procedures, which we are trying to use for an
> upcoming disaster recovery test. I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. Do your instructions assume the server being used for the restore is up
> and running with NT already installed to the C: partition?

No, the procedure does not depend on having any existing Windows NT software
installed on the system.

> 2. If so, is the C: drive FAT or NTFS?
> 3. If not, and you are using a server straight from the box, do you let it
> self-configure and then load NT a second time onto the D: partition? or can
> you just load NT into a directory on the D: partition, along with ADSM, and
> run the first restore to the C: partition?

We load NT onto the C: partition, but in a different directory than the NT
system to be restored from ADSM. We then restore the original contents of the
C: partition from ADSM. Personally, I would prefer the approach you hint at,
with the newly installed NT system going into a separate recovery partition.
However, the people who install NT systems at my site rarely if ever set up
recovery partitions.

> 4. Is the C:\adsm.sys directory existing before the restore?

No.