ADSM-L

Re: HSM disaster

2000-03-01 03:22:19
Subject: Re: HSM disaster
From: Henk ten Have <hthta AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:22:19 +0100
>What happens if you just do a restore of the file system?  What gets

 Doing a restore will bring all the data back, data > 400GB which
 doesn't fit into a 140GB filesystem. Besides the time is costs to
 restore 400GB data....

>restored?  I would think that after the restore, HSM can be restarted since
>all of the stubs have been returned from the restore.  I would also think

 Stubs are not restored (because the filesystem isn't HSM).

>that starting it before this configuration information has been restored
>would fail miserably.

>You're obviously in touch with IBM support on this one.  I am really curious
>as to the outcome.

 Well, the answer from IBM is: "HSM is not supported (yet) on IRIX 6.5.7"....
 I guess it will take a long time before this bug is fixed, and not because
 I'm a pessimist, but because the experience I have with these kind of
 bugs in the past (on AIX and on IRIX).

 Cheers,
 Henk.

 Oh, btw, we have a "workaround": downgrade to IRIX 6.5.4, restore HSM-
 filesystem and upgrade to IRIX 6.5.7. And then just pray that we don't
 get a corrupted filesystem again...
 And we were busy to split one HSM-filesystem into two HSM-filesystems,
 which we also only can't do on IRIX 6.5.7...