ADSM-L

Re: Admin GUI

2000-02-28 09:58:38
Subject: Re: Admin GUI
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT NERSP.NERDC.UFL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:58:38 -0500
=> On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 07:17:47 -0700, Bill Smoldt <smoldt AT STORSOL DOT COM>
said:

> They certainly can't share the list and they're doing the best job they can
> at prioritizing wants vs. new features.  Keeping the GUI was expensive.

Baloney they can't share the list.  They can share vaporware and call it
"pre-sales marketing", why not share vaporware and call it "customer
relations".

While I'm definitely in the "native GUI provides function availiable nowhere
else" camp, I would probably feel better if I knew that Tivoli was working on
that toenail-polisher feature I'd been agitating for.

I'm guessing they "can't" share the list because letting us know what they're
working on will not help; i.e. we'd be irritated at their internal priorities
just as we're irritated by their announced priorities.

Hm.  For reporting /querying purposes, at least, the function of the admin GUI
could be wrapped up in a Java client using ODBC.  A GNOME application? Hm...

> SSSI doesn't have an Admin GUI, but a daily operations GUI.  [ ... ]

Very nice topical-segue-to-marketing-presentation.  That takes skill. :)

Allen S. Rout