ADSM-L

Re: TSM 3.7 DPA's & Oracle

2000-02-25 08:17:38
Subject: Re: TSM 3.7 DPA's & Oracle
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 08:17:38 -0500
Gerald,

Giving one answer would be an over simplification
since each Tivoli Data Protection application client
is different.  I can speak for a few of them:

Exchange    - It uses the backup/restore C APIs provided
              by Microsoft to do Full (and Copy) style
              backups.  If you are not using circular
              transaction logging, you can do Incremental
              (and Differential) backups to just capture
              the changes from the last Full, Copy, or Incremental.
              It is up to you to decide how often to do
              a full backup (although sometimes the
              Exchange Server forces you to do a Full backup).

SQL         - Again, the application client uses the backup/restore
              interface provided by Microsoft to perform full backups
              or transaction backups for those databases that have
              logs and do not truncate at checkpoints.  Again, it is up
              to you on how often you run the full backups.

Domino (R5) - It uses the backp/restore C API provided with
              Domino R5 to do full backups on a database.
              "Incremental" backups (as you refer to them) are
              captured by backing up the transaction log segments using
              the Domino application client.  There is a similar
              situation here, in that it is up to you to
              decide how often to do full backups.
              Similar to Exchange, Domino will force you
              to do a full backup (if the DBIID of the database
              changes). This situation is detected and handled
              by the Domino application client.

In the three application clients above. speed of restore and recovery
can be increased if you take a full backup more often since the
SQL, Exchange, or Domino server will have fewer transactions to
restore and replay into the database backup.

I hope this helps a little.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler