ADSM-L

Re: ADSM to be or not to be

2000-02-23 12:33:24
Subject: Re: ADSM to be or not to be
From: Angelo DeAngelis <Angelo_DeAngelis AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:33:24 -0500
Many of the older configurations if not upgraded are experiencing growing pains
at this point.    Combination of
  not enough information initially has caused their current ADSM configuration
(server, network, tape) to be no match
  to the amounts of data administrators are asked to manage.

  Data with high restore rates needed should be separated and pools should be
constructed to meet specific needs for specific
  clients.   No sense if you are trying to manage 20Tb of copy pool data during
a recovery from one copy pool.  Got some time on your
  hands.

  The NSM is a fine product and works well in environments, but has its'
scaleable limits and you can find yourself buying more
   than one down the road.   Standalone servers can work together as your
environment expands in size.   As you add TSM servers, you
   can add back-end tape transports.  Are we trying to move 600Gb in three hours
over a 100Mb/sec?   Lota' factors.

   For what it was worth!

"Talafous, John G." <Talafous AT TIMKEN DOT COM> on 02/23/2000 11:45:04 AM