ADSM-L

Re: ANR8311E I/O error

2000-02-23 11:07:14
Subject: Re: ANR8311E I/O error
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:07:14 -0600
That matches my experiences also.  We have a little 3575-L06 that has been taken
apart by the local IBM Hardware guys at least 10  times in two years - and about
seven times in four months in 1998.  The symptoms were similar - very frequent
cleanings, frequent write "errors", tapes getting stuck in drives, etc.

They finally replaced an entire drive, the analog card in the other drive, the
SCSI controller, all internal cables, the bar code reader in the picker, the
picker itself, and recalibrated all picker movements.

Since then we've had generally reliable operation although the head and analog
card of one drive had to be replace a couple of weeks ago.

An occasional problem is to be expected and my knowledge level is high enough
now that I don't panic when they occur.

But our experiences 1.5 - 2 years ago is how I learned of ADSM's tendency to
become a "trainwreck" if problems are not fixed ASAP.

Tab

Larry Way <Larry.Way AT TRW DOT COM> on 02/23/2000 08:45:55 AM