ADSM-L

Retention question

2000-02-22 15:07:37
Subject: Retention question
From: Tomas Hallin <thwork AT MINDSPRING DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 15:07:37 -0500
Greetings,

I have what is probably a pretty basic question.  We're planning to
back up our DB2 database to ADSM nightly to a disk storage pool.  When
the backup is completed, the disk storage pool will be backed up to a
tape copy pool and sent to offsite storage, together with a tape backup
of the ADSM database.  Due to the size of the DB2 database, we can't
maintain any more than one backup in the disk storage pool, but we want
to retain the 20 latest available on the offsite tapes.  So, if I want
to restore the database from two weeks ago, I should be able to do so
using the offsite tape.  How do I specify the retention values to be
able to do this, and not have the ADSM database entries pertaining to
the tapes being wiped clean after a day, when it rids itself of the
entries dealing with the disk storage pool copy?

Thanks,

/Tomas