ADSM-L

MAXSIZE setting for extra DISK storage pools

2000-02-15 12:22:43
Subject: MAXSIZE setting for extra DISK storage pools
From: "Bates, Richard" <Richard.Bates AT VERTEX.CO DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:22:43 -0000
Config:
        7 x ADSM servers running v3.1.2.20 & v3.1.2.40
        AIX 4.1.5 and 4.3.1
        1TB of SSA disk spread across the 7 ADSM servers

Our current ADSM set-up is great for backups and archives.  We receive about
1TB of data per night from the clients, which is all migrated off to tape
later in the day.  The clients send a combination of many small files and
some larger database archives.  However the system was not designed with
disaster recovery in mind.  We are finding that restores of many millions of
small files is taking a l-o-n-g time.  I would therefore like to add some
extra DISK storage pools into the hierarchy, which have the MAXSIZE
parameter defined.  What is the maximum size file I should be keeping on
this extra disk storage pool?  1KB, 1MB ????  I would like to achieve much
better restore performance on the 3590s but I haven't got a clue of the file
size at which the 3590s start to become more efficient

Any suggestions? I can then run an SQL query to establish how much extra
disk we need to buy.

Richard.

Technical Services (ADSM) - Dawson House
Int: 33298  Ext: 01925 233298

the system manager.

***www.mimesweeper.com***